Friday 4 April 2014

Field Mob - Sick of Being Lonely

You can really only call a song a throwback if it mentions using a pager, and that's what's happening here with Field Mob's "Sick of Being Lonely."  I was in the fourth grade when I first heard "Sick of Being Lonely" while watching BET and staying at my Oma's house when I was too sick to go to school.  106 & Park was what I always looked forward to watching on cable when I was there, and I can really credit that to my love of rap music back then, and the love that has grown into what I have now.  Though my favourite rap is a little different than it used to be, finding "Sick of Being Lonely" again was like taking a step back in time.

When I was younger, I really enjoyed the hook sung by Ciara (apparently I never knew it was her before...), and the southern drawl of Field Mob (which I know is true because I was a huge Nelly fan back then too).  Now, that southern rap sound still gets me, and that hook is just as catchy.  Some things last twelve years into the future, what can I say?  "Sick of Being Lonely" is indicative early 2000's rap, but these days I'm one for the sputtering background beats, rough rap that still sounds slick, and lovely hooks.  Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment