Thursday 23 August 2012

Cornucopia - Serj Tankian

A week after getting my hands on it, Serj's Tankian's latest Harakiri has quickly become one of my favourite albums of the year.  It's brilliant work, really, with a fresh sound that still stays true to Mr. Tankian's progressive metal roots.  It's exactly how you do your third solo album.  Any other way would have failed.  My early favourite on the album was the first track, today's "Cornucopia," but since then I've taken a shine to a few others that may be featured in the future.  Still, it was an early favourite for a reason.

The strange thing about "Cornucopia" is that it sounds new.  New, as in it's nothing like I've heard from Serj before.  You could take the guitars from this song and lend them to any alternative band, and they would fit right.  But in "Cornucopia," the instrumentals are the perfect contrast to Serj's unique vocals.  Think of this is as progressive metal with an alternative flavor.  I'm all for bridging genres, after all.  Serj took a risk with "Cornucopia," but it's paid off big-time.  There's a reason he's a god of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment