Wednesday 29 August 2012

Dining Alone - Dice Raw

The always-enjoyable Dice Raw dropped a mixtape recently, and The Greatest Rapper Never: The Mixtapes Vol. 1 just might be my favourite mixtape since BBU's bell hooks.  It's a solid effort full of gems and other shiny baubles, and when it came to choosing one to feature, I actually found myself attempting to decide between three.  "Dining Alone" might have won this round, but I will give a mention to "Bloody Mary" and "Rear Window" as well.

"Dining Alone" caught my attention by being one kind of rap song: a sad one.  It drips melancholy through the background beats, and the emotion in Dice's rhymes is something mighty powerful.  As the repeating I'm dining alone tonight, table for one may suggest, "Dining Alone" explores the isolation one may experience, even when surrounded by others.  It takes a certain kind of rapper to pull of a sadder ditty (a nice change from the too-aggressive or too-mainstream-club numbers out there), and Dice does it here.  The guy won a Grammy, people.  Come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment