Wednesday 11 December 2013

CHVRCHES - Gun + We Sink

I can't escape CHVRCHES, it would seem.  The Scottish electropop trio has me reeled right in, hook-line-and-sinker.  I'm okay with this.  More than okay, if you're wondering.  I've been looking to feature them again, though had enough trouble deciding which song to go with, and thus, we have both "Gun" and "We Sink."  Both good, but both different.  Why don't we look at "Gun" first?  It's fun-and-frothy electropop, where sweet vocal work mingles with strong percussion and synths that just won't quit.  It's catchy, namely, and remixed correctly, would be a hit in the clubs.  On the other hand, the lyrics are deceptively darker (though not as dark as "Caduceus" was yesterday, don't worry), dealing with scorned love and using the title nicely (I will be a gun, and it's you I'll come from).  You know I love me so dark-lyrics-cheery-tone songs.

"We Sink" has something more lush and organic to the sound of it, showing that CHVRCHES is versatile, and capable of many different sounds.  It has a little Metric or Dragonette flavor to it, though that might just be the Canadian in me speaking.  "We Sink" is more love than scorned love, and while also catchy, relies on a little more of a build to make its impact.  I think that it's absolutely perfect, and I really don't have anything bad to say about "We Sink."  It's a lovely little electropop song.  Played after "Gun," it's the right compliment, and both songs make for the best start to a snowy morning like this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment