Monday 2 December 2013

IllScarlet - Nothing Special

Some of my favourite nostalgia trips involve some good alternative tracks from my punk/screamo phase.  *sigh*  And what a phase that was...  Back before high speed internet and cable television, the only way for me to find new bands and music was through the Big Shiny Tunes albums that came out through Much Music, and the twelfth incarnation (the third last to be released) contained "Nothing Special" from Clarkson, Ontario's own IllScarlet, who still seem to be releasing music now.  Good for them.

I'm sick and tired of everybody thinking they know what's best for me, and maybe God wanted me to be nothing special.  
I'm past the point of breaking, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it.
I'll keep this gift from breaking as long as you believe.

"Nothing Special" is something special, coincidentally.  It's infectious alternative, and you tell me if you find a more enticing opening to a song.  It's just as good to me now as it was back in the tenth grade when I first heard it.  The vocals and perfect for the genre, with some yelling sections that aren't too cliche either (let's save that for Blink 182).  As a whole, it's catchy, it's infectious, and once you learn all of the words, you won't be forgetting them anytime soon.  Nostalgia doesn't get better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment