Thursday 5 December 2013

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon + TROPICO

There are two orders of business today.  Sure, I could split these two up into two separate posts, but I'm the one with the keyboard, and I make the rules.  First off, we get something that has come from my recent obsession with American Horror Story.  I've only seen the current season so far, but if you're following the news that comes with it, I'm sure you've heard that Stevie Nicks will be on a future episode.  She's mentioned on the show whenever Lily Rabe's character is around, and "Rhiannon" was on one of the first episodes she appeared on.  Stevie Nicks is a white witch, and "Rhiannon" is her anthem.

Even though I consider myself a fan of Fleetwood Mac, "Rhiannon" had escaped my radar before all of this happened.  It has everything I love about the band: breezy guitars, a folk flavor, Stevie, and backing vocals that won't quit on you.  I might have found a new favourite here, and songs like this make me wish that I was either a white witch or could still play the guitar.



Still with me?  Good.

Secondly, Lana Del Rey's short film came out this morning.  Tropico is technically restricted to only American viewers, but some people are nice enough to upload it again so the rest of us can see.  Sure, you could call it one long music video, but I would rather look at Tropico as one 27-minute-long piece of art.  Go on, press play and start watching.  It does kind of drag near the end, but the first two thirds of the film are fairly strong, in both music and cinematography.  Now we've just got to wait for Ultraviolence to come out next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment