Tuesday 3 December 2013

Teletextile - I Don't Know How To Act Here

Pamela Martinez, founder of the Brooklyn collective known as Teletextile, describes the band's name as "packed in suitcases with things words can't describe."  Words are definitely hard to put together for this brand of dreamy art-indie, I'll tell you that, but that doesn't lessen its impact any less.  The art part of that is the most important, because there is something avant garde about Teletextile's kind of music, as seen in the likes of "I Don't Know How To Act Here."  Don't be scared by the word art, because this one is something that's easy to approach.  The vocal work from Martinez is something that sounds like it could be in a regular old indie song, but it's brought to the next level in "I Don't Know How..." by what sounds like a xylophone and sections of what I can only describe as a conversation without using the words we recognize.  "I Don't Know How..." is very different from most indie out there, but there's something strange and unique about it that just draws you in, and it won't be long before you never want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment