Thursday 12 December 2013

Sub Swara feat. Dead Prez - Speak My Language

Lately the rap music that I've been revisiting is a little older, and by that, I mean that it's song I've accumulated a year or two ago.  It's nothing brand-spanking new, but it's not aged either.  It's just right, though Sub Swara is more than just right.  The Brooklyn duo of Dhruva Ganesan and Dave Sharma blend their own electro-dubstep-if-you-really-want-to-call-it-that beats with vocal work from helpful contributors, and it all turns out beautifully.  Even on its own, their music is just as strong without the vocal work.  "Speak My Language" has a chorus that catchy enough to get in your head, and even though electro can sometimes overwhelm rap when done wrong, it all comes together here.  The electro side of "Speak My Language" is what lightens it up and keeps it the song from getting too heavy, though I find I can headbang to it if I really want to.  Dead Prez, the rap duo responsible for the rhymes here, gives "Speak My Language" more of an old-school rap feel, and with sub Swara's electro bits, it all works, while keeping the track from being too far into dubstep territory.  Everything works here, and I have no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment