Tuesday 16 April 2013

Alkaline Trio - This Could Be Love

When it comes to Alkaline Trio, I like three of their albums.  That's right, only three.  Agony & IronyCrimson and Good Mourning.  So sue me if you see merit in the others, but I just prefer the sound of this trio from the trio.  Good Mourning is good, of course, and rife with acoustic gems and alternative wunderkinds like "This Could Be Love."  You may expect sweet nothings, but instead you'll get a twisted love story set to punky guitars and drums.  The chorus?  It gets a rare OMG from me.

Step one, slit my throat
Step two, bathe in my blood
Step three, cover me in dirty sheets and run laughing out of the house
Step four, stop off at Edgebrook Creek and rinse your crimson hands
You took me hostage and made your demands
I couldn't meet them so you cut off my fingers, one by one

Yeah, it's twisted, and the location for hand washing changes with each refrain, but gauging a reaction is part of what music is all about.  There is love in here somewhere, behind the matches and kerosene, within the flowing guitar work and smooth vocals.  This is love, when it comes to "This Could Be Love."

No comments:

Post a Comment