Thursday 4 April 2013

Kanye West feat. Kid Cudi - Welcome to Heartbreak

808s & Heartbreak got a lot of flack for overusing autotune, but I would disagree with that.  This is the album that got me deep into Kanye for a number of reasons.  It's softer, sadder, and a big risk that paid off in the end.  What's art without experimentation, after all?  There are gems galore, but "Welcome to Heartbreak" was the song that got me, and therefore, it gets the feature.

God sister's getting married by the lake
But I couldn't figure out who I wanna take
Bad enough that I showed up late
Had to leave before they even cut the cake
Welcome to heartbreak

"Welcome to Heartbreak" gives us a melancholy view at a life that seems perfect on the outside.  The lyrics?  Holy crap, Kanye, your next album better be like this after the bit of disappointment I got out of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  The combination of beats and a piano behind the lyrics really add to the sad tone of the song.  Anything else would have wrecked it.  Kid Cudi is on chorus duty and doesn't detract or overwhelm the track.  Everything comes together in perfect harmony here, and so what if Kanye uses autotune?  Rapping this one wouldn't have given the same results.

Look back on my life and my life gone
Where did I go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment