Saturday 6 April 2013

Midnattsol - Northern Light

Have you heard of Liv Kristine before?  I'm not her biggest fan, to be honest, but I do like what her sister Carmen Elise Espenæs does at the helm of Midnattsol.  The band is a mix of Germans and Norwegians, and the genre is a mix of folk and symphonic metal.  I don't hear much folk in "Northern Light," though.  This one is more dark symphonic than anything, and as far as vocal prowess goes, I think Carmen could go up against Tarja in the right setting.  She's not as operatic, mind you.  It's a little more subdued, and that's what I like.  The guitar work on "Northern Light" is also heavy, and creates that perfect combination of awesome with the vocals.  This is what you'd listen to when travelling the tundra after sundown.  This is what I call brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment