Wednesday 10 April 2013

Macy Gray - Oblivion

Let's get back into Macy Gray and The Id, shall we?  The album is still a favourite of mine more than a decade since its release, and "Oblivion" was probably my first encounter with very grand, over-the-top art-for-the-sake-of-art music.  It's not for everyone, let me warn you, but there's something fantastical about the song that gets me every time.  Macy weaves a story of a new world, where anything you want can and does happen.  It sounds a little baroque, but do you know what I say?  If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.  I had to upload the original to Youtube since it wasn't up, but I did find a few live performances that give "Oblivion" more of an island-calypso feel that's just as good.  Either way, it all flies with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment