Wednesday 21 August 2013

Drop Dead, Gorgeous - Two Birds, One Stone

I've got a bit of studying to do today, so I chose an easy song for this feature?  What makes it easy?  When I love a song unconditionally, I find it pretty easy to write about it.  In grade twelve I went through a bit of a post-hardcore phase, and one of my favourite albums of that time was The Hot N' Heavy, the last album by Drop Dead, Gorgeous.  These days most of the songs don't speak to me in the same way, but something about "Two Birds, One Stone" has stuck with me.

You might remember "Two Birds, One Stone" from Underworld: Evolution (in the form of a horrible remix), but I have my own way of thinking.  It's post-hardcore with a hefty dose of lushness, which makes it more than screaming.  Daniel Stillman's voice is either one you'll love or hate, and on this track, I'm in love.  It's kind of a nice middle ground between Rody Walker and George Petit, with their respective styles of growling.  The lyrics are nice for the genre too, but it's the guitar work that I'm a fan of.  It breathes life into the words, and gives "Two Birds, One Stone" the right direction, and that's the way I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment