Sunday 11 August 2013

Plan B - Stay Too Long

It's hard to figure out what genre we get from Plan B.  He's really rap, but his music is a little blues, a little rock, a little rap and hip-hop, and even something that's like up-tempo jazz.  It's not like the rap I'm used to, and I don't mind blending genres together one bit.  He's got three studio albums of this brand to his name, and today's selection comes from his second effort, The Defamation of Strickland Banks.  I first heard "Stay Too Long" on Much Music nearly two years ago, one of the channel's highlighters in its time on the air.

"Stay Too Long" alternates between bluesy rock sections and verses that are rapped with precision.  It sounds like one song and not two different ones because of the instruments behind the words.  The guitar work is peppy, there's a keyboard somewhere in there, and I wouldn't be surprised if I really am hearing a tambourine.  When it comes to the two sides of Plan B, I think that I prefer his slick English-accent rapping, but then I hear a verse and the plan changes.  After all, there is always a Plan B...

No comments:

Post a Comment