Friday 5 August 2011

The Front Bottoms - Maps

There is a map in my room, on the wall of my room, and I've got big big plans.  But I can see them slipping through, almost feel them slipping through the palms of my sweaty hands.

Who knew that a few good lines could draw you in to an amazing song?  The most recent, most-played song I've come across is "Maps" by 2-piece indie-alternative outfit The Front Bottoms.  Hailing form New Jersey, they blend the expected with the unexpected.  Are those strings I hear yawning in the background?  And the quick change in pitch on the word through?  Genius.  You don't often come across something with a wondrous instrumental side as well as brilliant lyrics.  The Front Bottoms do this, and do it well.

I used to love the taste, I would do anything for it, now I'd do anything to get the taste out of my mouth.

The vocals?  Alternative-ish.  The music?  Indie.  The result?  Beautiful.  The Front Bottoms don't conform to a genre that either results in being called a sell-out or just another brick in the wall (which coincidentally plays on the radio as I write this).  This is a two-piece band that lets you know they're here, and this is how they're going to do things.  Beautifully.  But sometimes my rambling can't do a song justice, which is why I let the lyrics speak for themselves.

She sees these visions, she feels emotion.  She says that I cannot go, she sees my plane in the ocean.  And what about your friends, don't you love them enough to stay?  And I say, if I don't leave now then I will never get away.

See you in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment