Tuesday 23 August 2011

Fucked Up - Queen of Hearts

On the Canadian MuchMusic channel, they air "recommended" videos within the normal flow of videos.  Though I've been within cable since I left school for the summer, I was reunited with my love on vacation, where satellite was provided.  The first recommended video I watched was "Queen of Hearts" by Fucked Up, a Canadian hardcore band that I knew a little bit about because of their association with Alexisonfire.  I have one of their songs, "David Comes To Life" that I thought was fairly good, but is nothing compared to this epic (and the music video....get yourself to youtube and watch it NOW).

This is a love story intertwined with an industrial setting.  Specifically speaking, it is between David, a man coming into a factory, and Veronica, one of the people greeting the newcomers.  Who knew that half of a doomed story like this could be beautifully told by screaming, and signing (Veronica's half is sung by a wondrous Madeline Follin).  Fucked Up understands the use of contrast in the hardcore genre, and makes a wonderful use of it.  I've always been partial to songs like this that use a female vocalist.

No wonder "Queen of Hearts" is recommended.  I see myself going out to buy their latest album, coincidentally called "David Comes To Life" as soon as I'm in the city again (as I have little faith in my small-town Wal-Mart, where I had trouble finding Amy Winehouse albums and essentially anything else that's not Top 40 material).  So what are you doing there?  MuchMusic told you, I told you....LISTEN NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment