Tuesday 2 August 2011

Ian McGlynn - Small Town, Big Hearts

The piano is a delicate instrument.  Sure, you can pound away at it and create beautiful things, but tapping only a few keys with a light touch can have the same effect.  Ian McGlynn uses this to give beauty to the ordinary.  His song "Small Town, Big Hearts" is a slow, sad ditty about pitfalls in a small town, where he seems to be the one with the biggest heart of all. 

I'll give you the last verse, just to lure you in:
The sun is reaching through the blinds,
it tricks me out of sleep
I roll over to kiss her cheek,
the pillow waits for me
I rub my eyes, she does her hair,
our lives begin again


Maybe I can't say too much about "Small Town, Big Hearts."  It's nearly a loss of words; an unexplainable idea I have in my head.  This song is just too good for too many words.

No comments:

Post a Comment