Saturday 23 June 2012

I Won't Play - Gossip

After first hearing their new single "Perfect World" way back when, I couldn't resist picking up Gossip's latest album, A Joyful Noise during my last Wal-Mart excursion.  These indie-dance-alt rockers are just too catchy to pass up.  In fact, it was an especially difficult task to choose just one more song from the album to feature (so don't be surprised if another post comes out).  I settled on "I Won't Play" for a few reasons, as it would seem, though there was serious competition from "Into The Wild," "Involved" and "Move In The Right Direction."

"I Won't Play" has a few things I like in a song.  One, a strong female lead in Beth Ditto, who I've started following on Twitter and is still one of my heroes.  Two, even though it pulses with bass, "I Won't Play" is a little bit subdued, or subdued enough for my liking.  Then you have the strong instrumental side, the vocals that won't quit, and all in all, a well-rounded song that you shouldn't pass up.  Hell, just don't pass up the whole album.  Go out an buy it.  I don't always go out and buy a full album, but when I do, I never make a bad choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment