Tuesday 11 December 2012

Breaking Benjamin - Had Enough

High school was a good four years.  Well, not really.  No one can say in good confidence that those were the best times of their life.  Who knew getting blunt-cut bangs was such a bad idea?  At least it was good for one thing; exploring the alternative rock bands that would lead me to the metal I love so much today.  Breaking Benjamin is somewhere in the middle of that, a good transition band.  Still, I got their Phobia in the early spring of 2007 after frequent airplay on the Detroit alt station.  I've heard some of their other work, and this album is their best, no contest.  It might be the only album from 2007 that I still enjoy to the same extent now.

"Had Enough" is, quite simply put, a suck it song for the ages.  The lyrics say it all.  You should have learned by now, I'll burn this whole world down.  The sound is a little lush, but it's the vocals that get me.  Phobia has some of the best vocal work done by the band I've seen, and it's not only confined to "Had Enough."  But back to my original point: this is what you listen to if you're looking to pump yourself up and get you out of a funk.  We all need that sometimes, don't we?  And after five and a half years, it's passed my test of time.  Have you had enough yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment