Friday 28 December 2012

Epica - The Obsessive Devotion

2012 was a pretty good year for symphonic metal, allowing me to get to know the Dutch collective Epica a bit better.  Well, their "The Obsessive Devotion" is from 2007, but you get what I'm trying to say.  If I hadn't heard their new "Storm The Sorrow" I'm not sure I would have gone looking for some of their older work to add to my collection.  "The Obsessive Devotion" is off of The Divine Conspiracy and rife with a lot of symphonic elements.  You have Simone Simons doing her thing (new girl crush alert), orchestral sounds and harsh vocals courtesy of Mark Jansen.  Admittedly, it's always good for a band to be consistent throughout time.  For Epica to be as brilliant in 2007 as they are now is a good sign.  Very good.

Nothing lasts forever, but you, you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment