Friday 21 December 2012

Like Moths To Flames - Some Nights + Memphis May Fire - Grenade

Though my brother may listen to a generic brand of rock, he does throw me a few good music selections now and again, and it's his fault I got so hard into Iron Maiden (not that I'm complaining).  His recent contribution to my library (soon to be overtaken by the two Tool albums sitting next to me on the table) would be tracks from the new Pop Goes Punk 5 album, and we all know I'm a sucker for covers.

"Some Nights" is a favourite of the year for me from the boys of Fun., but it's something else when reworked by Ohio metalcore mongers Like Moths To Flames.  Less gospel, more alternative anthem.  The vocals are raw, the growls give the cover personality, and the guitars are heavy.  Perhaps this is the perfect cover?

Or one of them.  Memphis May Fire, radar favourites of mine, tackle Bruno Mars's "Grenade," a song that I actually enjoy the original of (or, at least I did when it first came out).  They've got a good balance of clean vocals and metalcore growls, done best during the chorus.  That contrast is sweet music to my ears.  It's easier on the ears than the Like Moths To Flames track, but still has as much metalcore as you need.

My brother asked me to get him Pop Goes Punk 5 for Christmas this year.  I hope he enjoys pre-opened gifts.



No comments:

Post a Comment