Tuesday 4 December 2012

Angel Olsen & Marissa Nadler - My Dreams Have Withered and Died

What happens when you bring two folky indie darlings together?  Magical things.  You may remember Miss Nadler from an earlier post, but Angel Olsen is new to the Fromalt2zen bracket.  That's okay.  There is always room for new blood in my domain.  They come together here to cover Linda Thompson folk classic "My Dreams Have Withered And Died."  Not the typical choice of a cover song, but since when is anything I like typical?

Angel and Marissa turn "My Dreams..." from a take-it-easy folk ballad to a new dimension.  Here the song thrives on a minimal quality, focusing on their vocals intertwining.  I like that they don't exactly sing together in a sense.  Marissa's smokey vocals and Angel's slightly higher register are not perfectly synced, but with the delicate strum of a guitar behind them, they make "My Dreams..." something real.  You're there in the room listening to them perform (oh, how I wish that was true).  So take a leap of faith today, if you trust me enough.  Go minimal folk, and see how quickly you fall in love with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment