Sunday 10 March 2013

DMX - Ruff Ryders' Anthem

My good luck on reading week brought me to another good haul from Value Village.  DMX's It's Dark and Hell Is Hot was my OMG moment, but I also picked up Spirit by Jewel, Believe by Cher and Daft Punk's Homework.  Good day for me, eh?  But back to the rap now.  DMX's words are always raw and rough, and before the "up in here" days, he was doing things like this.  It's Dark... is a good album for the gangster fans, and fifteen years later, is still as fresh as it was the day it came out in 1998.  Even for a debut this is solid work. 

Give a dog a bone, leave a dog alone, let a dog roam and he'll find his way home.

"Ruff Ryders' Anthem" stood out to me because it completed the holy trinity for rap: the beats, the rhymes, and that something special that makes it brilliant.  I'm looking forward to blasting this in the summer when I get the chance to drive my dad's truck, to be one of those people who blast rap around town.  I don't care too much, that's what this song was made for.  You're either a Ruff Ryder or you're not, and I like to think we all have a little inside us.  I'll leave it to you to decide, and because it made me laugh, here's the song info from Wikipedia:

Many believe this was the fucking time when DMX showed what real shit he was capable of. This song is what gave DMX his fame, many n***** think he is his alter muthafucking ego in this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment