Friday 15 March 2013

Ensiferum - Bamboleo

I normally don't buy full-price CDs anymore.  Value Village is too convenient and cheap, and I always find something there that I like.  However, I still make the trip to HMV now and then, only if the band is one that I thoroughly enjoy.  Last weekend I picked up Epica's Requiem For The Indifferent, and finally got my hands on Ensiferum's Unsung Heroes.  About time!  It's a must for my fellow folk metal mongers, and you'll surely be in for a treat with the last track.  Who knew mariachi and folk metal could sound so good in a cover of The Gypsy Kings' "Bamboleo?"

"Bamboleo" may start innocently enough, but this isn't your traditional cover song.  The acoustic guitar is spared for certain pieces and the chorus screams mariachi, but traditional folk metal is still here.  Don't worry your pretty little head over that, my friend.  Petri and the gang make use of rough vocals (borderline-death, in my opinion) and gritty guitars before the horns come in.  It takes serious talent to be able to tackle a genre so different from your own and make it something beautiful.  Ensiferum's "Bamboleo" is a work of art, and makes me want to get back into Mariachi el Bronx.

No comments:

Post a Comment