Friday 22 March 2013

J. Ralph Feat. Scarlett Johansson and Joshua Bell - Before My Time

Adele was a darling at this year's Oscars, winning for "Skyfall" and tearing up on stage.  I admit, I teared up as well.  Even so, while listening through the other nominees, something surprised me.  I haven't seen, nor hear of Chasing Ice before the Oscars, but the documentary on climate change and glaciers harbored a secret.  "Before My Time" is played over the credits.  J. Ralph wrote it, Joshua Bell plays violin, and the darling Scarlett Johansson sings.

"Before My Time" is very delicate, and is something haunting when put into the context of our disappearing glaciers.  I don't want to die way before my time.  Some criticize Scarlett's musical abilities, but I quite like her here.  Her voice is suited for this type of genre, that light, pared-down atmosphere that can make you weep over ice.  Mr. Bell also slays it on the violin, if by slays you mean contributing to the atmosphere of "Before My Time."

I love Adele, but I would have liked to see this win an Oscar just as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment