Monday 4 March 2013

Evanescence - Tourniquet

Okay, I'm about to make you all feel like old dinosaurs.  Ten years ago today was the release of Evanescence's debut album, Fallen.  Yeah, I know, right?  I first heard of them a little later than that, close to the end of 2003 when I was eleven years old and still a gangster rap nut.  Evanescence is one of the bands that brought me into metal, and for that, I am a forever fan.  My favourite song from Fallen isn't one of the singles, but "Tourniquet." 

So what does "Tourniquet" have that songs like "Going Under" and "Bring Me To Life" don't?  They're all dark songs, but "Tourniquet" is a moody work of art.  The song was originally intended for a Christian metal band, though, but you may not notice it until you look into the lyrics.  Amy Lee and the boys take it away from that genre and give it that hard-rock-and-a-little-symphonic sound that came out of Fallen.  Simply the way "Tourniquet" flows isn't half-bad either, in fact, it's brilliant.  I've been in love for the past nine-and-a-half years, so here's to another near-decade with Evanescence.

No comments:

Post a Comment