Wednesday 13 July 2011

Nas & Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - As We Enter (Tinie Tempah Remix)

I was intrigued when I first heard about an album project between Nas and Damian Marley.  "Patience" was the first song that I heard from the CD, and I can't deny that it's good.  It was brilliant.  Nas and Mr. Marley compliment each other and keep things interesting in a genre that is famous for getting stale.  Even though it was good, I kind of forgot about the two of them for a few months as bigger, shinier things came across my path (I'm only human).  Then, a few days ago, I found "As We Enter", remixed by British rapper Tinie Tempah.

I think Tinie's opening verse (compared to the original version's verse) fits in flawlessly with the words thrown by Nas and Damian Marley.  He came here with no introduction, or information, but he holds his own against the big guns.  Nas enters in the chorus, a catchy ditty that grabs your attention.  He and Damian Marley seemingly duel it out following this.  Who wins?  It's a tie.

How can a a rap song capture your attention with just over two minutes of air time?  Interesting background beats are the key to the formula of success (or to my liking of a certain song).  It has to be fast-paced (but not too fast), and unique from a world where a throbbing bass is overused.  In the "As We Enter" remix, the background noise almost makes the song, if not for the great talent that lets you know the king's back, time to return the crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment