Tuesday 12 July 2011

Triumph Of Lethargy Skinned Alive To Death - The Dirty Street

With the upwards of 3300 songs lying around the laptop, it's not entirely impossible for me to forget what I've acquired.  This is especially true for all of my rcrdlbl downloads...I've got a lot, and with new songs coming out every day, it's easy to lose track of things if they don't immediately jump out as brilliant.  Prime example?  "The Dirty Street."

I don't know much about TOLSATD.  Actually, I don't know anything about them.  From listening to "The Dirty Street", I can conclude that there is a male lead singer, a female vocalist, a guitarist, a drummer, and maybe someone else that I've missed (there's always one of those in a band).  I'm probably wrong about a bit of that assumption, but the most important thing one learns from listening to "The Dirty Street" is that this indie band has a way with emotions and strange guitar riffs.

The female vocalist takes on the challenge of the first verse, with a soft and quiet voice that you have to really listen to in order to appreciate.  The male singer has the chorus, with a louder (though still understated) bravado that is barely singing.  It's him speaking his true feelings to the listener, asking all the questions he wants to know: Did he catch you stepping out onto the dirty street?  Did you take a sip when you know damn well when you know you can't handle your drink?

"The Dirty Street" is a sad song.  You can hear it in their voices.  It has a slow tempo, and is nearly stripped down to the bare minimum.  What does that mean?  It is utterly beautiful, and I'm astonished that I lost track of it after it was removed from my Recently Added playlist in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment