Monday 25 July 2011

Protest The Hero - Hair-Trigger

Oh, to love a band unconditionally...  Though I don't pride myself in being a "fangirl," I have to admit that I get a little crazy whenever Protest The Hero comes up in a conversation (it isn't often, but when it does...).  I've been a big fan since I first heard "Sequoia Throne", and subsequently bought their first two albums as soon as I could, and then their EP.  It's rare to find a group of young men doing something so brilliant with music.  Their guitars could tear you to shreds, reminiscent of a thrashing Iron Maiden.  And Mr. Rody Walker's vocals?  You know how I like a man with a higher-than-usual singing voice.

I do have to admit that I fell behind on my PTH news recently, until I found their third album on the shelves in Wal-Mart.  Sucrrilous is draws on the elements of their last release, Fortress, with good theatrics, vocal harmonies (in progressive-metal? who knew it could be awesome?) and lyrics that you know are good, but have to look up to make sure you get them right.  Of the many highlights of the album, my recent love is "Hair-Trigger", a near-five-minute epic in which Mr. Walker describes a strange story of that sweet little redhead who has her hooks in my back.  It isn't quite a love story, and isn't quite a revenge ballad.  It's a love-hate story told in PTH's signature style.  Though they've grown as a band, they haven't so much in a way that their albums are drastically different from each other.

Quite possibly the best Canadian band in a looooong time, Protest The Hero is doing music right.  I'm content with being their number one fangirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment