Saturday 23 July 2011

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice

"Weapon of Choice" is another song that's haunted me for years.  It received some airplay on the somewhat-local alternative station, but it seemed that I always missed the band name, and when I could have gotten the song, the thought didn't even cross my mind.  Enter this year, where it finally finds its place in my music library.

A not-so-acoustic-y, modernish Beach Boys reprise, "Weapon of Choice" channels the good ol' days of parties on the beach, when you could have an open bonfire and not get fined by the city.  It has a carefree mood to it.  There's even the shake of a tambourine in the background.  But, with a fun set of electric guitar riffs rising the background comes deeper lyrics, such as I won't waste my love on a nation.  Could Black Rebel Motorcycle Club be using their somewhat-rising status to get a point across about current affairs?  Anything is possible.

This is a song for the summer if I've ever heard it.  So take my advice, get this song, listen to it on your way to the beach, and then attempt to surf.  Even in the Great Lakes (because that's all some of us have).

No comments:

Post a Comment