Saturday 16 July 2011

Donnis feat. Dev - Ring My Bell

If you can recall that earlier this month I featured "Ticket To The Moon" by rising Atlanta rapper Donnis.  I also mentioned a more recent track of this that would be appearing in the near future...well, no need to wait any longer.  "Ring My Bell", an airy, stripped-down (so you know it's good) song with Dev taking over the chorus, was the first song of his that I heard, courtesy of rcrdlbl. 

Firstly, you haven't heard Dev like this before.  Her soft rendition of the chorus (you can ring by bell, oh I won't tell, no I won't tell.  Ring-a-ling-a-ring-a-ling my bell, no I won't tell...) is toned down for an artist such as herself, and I myself wish that she would do it more often.  The closest she comes to this in another song is the high-pitched chorus of "Top Of The World", and even then, it's a far stretch from the amazing job she does with "Ring My Bell."

Then there's Donnis.  I already have nothing but good things to say about him, his choice of good beats, and the lyrics he spits out.  "Ring My Bell" lacks the theatrics of his mixtape, Diary of an ATL. Brave, but that's what makes it unique.  Now and again, stepping outside of the box is a good thing to show the world that you're more than a one-note artist.  Actually, I encourage it.  Donnis does a spectacular job of doing exactly this; another reason why I can't wait until this guy blows up in the world of rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment