Thursday 28 July 2011

Panic! at the Disco - The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage

I'm the kind of person who likes to reminisce now and again.  I remember back to the days when I lived and breathed punk music, scrawling band names onto all of my school notebooks and trying to get away with listening to a CD player during class (unfortunately, this all happened before I got an ipod).  I was always plugged in back then (though that hasn't changed much), and always listening to the same few bands.  This included Panic! At The Disco, back when they were more electronic than trying to recreate The Beatles.  My favourite of their songs (and still my favourite) back then was the lengthy titled "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage."

It's catchy.  It blends punk and electronica without trying too hard.  The lyrics are complex, yet fun.  I've discussed crossover genres before; it's either done perfectly or done horribly with no in-between.  With their debut album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, Panic! At The Disco achieved perfection in doing what I like bands to do: stand out.  "The Only Difference..." stands out from the album and their entire repertoire as a short, yet powerful song.  It might be classified as "alternative" music, but it's something that you can dance to.  Swear to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment