Wednesday 6 July 2011

Swollen Members - Moonshine

I seem to be featuring a lot of rap lately, possibly a nod to the days where I wore my own bling to school with a Starter hoodie and chunky shoes.  Come on, we've all been there at some point.  No, it was just me?  Oh.  Anyways, Vancouver rap group Swollen Members currently sit in the elite group of my favourite musical acts.  Fourth, if we're being accurate.  I've been a loyal fan since "Monsters In The Closet", buying their albums even though my strictly-alternative phase.  I usually don't find out that they've released an album until I see it at Wal-Mart, which was the case for their latest effort, "Daggermouth."  A CD that brings them out of the funk that the previous, "Armed To The Teeth" left in their fans mouths, the highlight stands as "Moonshine."

In the background, behind Madchild and Prevail's raps, is a looping drum beat with a strange sound reminiscent of a scene in "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory."  The two powerhouses are best when paired with stripped down sounds, compared to the loud and excessive they sometimes have to battle against.  They are the kings of references in rap, my favourite here being devil's night in Detroit, dig a shallow grave.  It is also easy to pick out lyrics that reference Madchild's recent drug-related issues, which are present throughout the album.  They play only a small role in "Moonshine", which is good for the listener.  Prevail enters with his gritty voice, never sounding as if he is unsure.  As the songs ends with the scratches of a record, you realize that this rap song may just be...beautiful.  Yes, I've used it again.

Swollen Members have been around long enough to know what they're doing (aside from the detour they took with "Armed To The Teeth").  "Daggermouth" brings them back to their roots with tracks that give you a gritty beauty and references that you know that you know but can't remember for the life of you.  Devil's night in Detroit?  Answer: The Crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment