Sunday 3 July 2011

Rockwell Knuckles - Play Catch

While on the topic of rappers who know what they're doing: I bring you Rockwell Knuckles.  Like Donnis, he's moving up in the industry and has something that sets him apart from everyone else.  What is that something?  I'm sure if we knew, every rapper would be on my list of songs to feature.  How do I judge if a rap song is any good?  It climbs onto my Top 25 Most Played while it's still on Recently Added.  Songs that do that have something.  Rockwell Knuckles has something.  Example: "Play Catch."

With words thrown against the chopped up vocals of a female singer, Rockwell Knuckles infused beauty into a genre not known for having such a thing.  Insisting that his show puts most in disbelief, he gives us a song that let's you know that you're wrong, he's right.  He's good, and anything you've heard is wrong.  You don't know anything.  I don't mind listening to someone's plans to take over the world, especially when it's presented in an art form.  Yes, rap can be an art form if done correctly.

Rockwell Knuckles isn't the guy you see in music videos rapping about snorting cocaine with twenty girls dancing around him (there would be cars too, there are always cars).  He falls into the category I tentatively call rap for people who hate rapMusic for people who aren't afraid of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment