Friday 1 July 2011

Alexisonfire - The Northern

Happy Canada Day!  And to those of you south of the border, or nowhere near Canada...happy Friday!  In honor of the best country in the world, I bring one of my favourite Canadian bands.  I used to be Alexisonfire's biggest fan.  The absolute biggest fan.  Though their music has been shifting since their debut album (and the noteworthy "Watch Out!", the soundtrack of my '06), they still maintain a quality that is undeniable.  In their most recent effort, "Old Crows / Young Cardinals", the most haunting, if not best, track is "The Northern."

Dallas Green and George Petit contrast each other in a way that other bands can't match up to.  Dallas gives the verses the haunting element of the song, and George gives the chorus a feeling of desolation and perhaps a bit of I told you so.  George screams the best lyrics Alexisonfire may have ever included in their songs, oh father you oughta be there, I'm gonna go the heaven when I die, with Dallas in the background reminding us that he's not going anywhere.

"The Northern" currently sits at 5 for my most played songs.  Though we can't deny that Alexisonfire has softened up over the years, they still have a power in the group that gives them an edge.  Oh, you oughta be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment