Friday 22 July 2011

Lonely Galaxy - Modern Romance

I still don't know what genre to put this masterpiece of a piano ballad under.  In one direction is jazz, and the other...something I'm not to sure of.  Lonely Galaxy's "Modern Romance" oozes melancholy and heartbreak, but it is much more powerful than it is depressing.  Yes, it may make you sad upon first listening, but contrary to anything I've ever said before...this is power done right, and with a piano.  And a few strings lurking in the background.

And the lyrics? K4djhlshfshfksjh (that means indescribable joy, with a 4).  They are some of the best lyrics I have heard since my love f music began at the age of seven with Britney Spears' Oops...I Did It Again.  Lonely Galaxy explains I don't ever wanna find another lover, she said "don't want that," and if I could, I'd take it back, but frankly I'd prefer a heart attack.  The "heart attack" part is sung the best, and with the most audible pain.  "Modern Romance" is the song that would play in a romcom following the reversal of events, when all of the characters refuse to see each other and instead choose to wallow in their own misery.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Forget your piano gods from yesteryear.  Sorry Norah.  You too, Fiona.  Lonely Galaxy does it better than you've ever done before.  I'm waiting with baited breath for the day he blows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment