Thursday 7 July 2011

Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive

I love Irish music.  Just want to get that out of the way now.

I was first introduced to Irish punk indirectly by my brother, who was and still kind of is a big fan of Flogging Molly and the similar Dropkick Murphys.  I was dubious at first, wondering aloud why it sounds like "the late night ramblings from a pub in Cork."  Preconceived notions aside, I took a few good listens and didn't get too into it until I saw PS I Love You one evening.  I fell in love with the movie (and Gerard Butler with a guitar) and perhaps Flogging Molly's best song that appears in the film.

You might be able to guess why I like "If I Ever Leave This World Alive."  Minimalist guitars, powerful lyrics and vocals, and that beautiful feeling you get once it's over.  Also Irish.  Mostly the Irish thing.  They know what they're doing over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment