Tuesday 5 July 2011

Dead and Divine - Lovely Bones

I love Dead and Divine.  Well, I use to L word a lot when it comes to musical artists, but I really mean it this time.  I love Dead and Divine.  They're Canadian, they do hardcore music while still retaining a bite of alternative, and they improve with each album.  "Lovely Bones", from their most recent effort (though not for long) The Machines We Are, is one of their tracks that leans more towards alternative than hardcore, atypical for D&D.  I've found them more partial to throat than clean vocals and gritty guitars rather than the softer ones, but they do both things wonderfully nonetheless.

"Lovely Bones" is a beautiful song in alternative standards.  Giving us let's shoot some drugs and fall in love, it is a melancholy romance tune set to climbing guitars and equally climbing vocals that are traversing the ladder of power.  However, hardcore fans shouldn't discount D&D just by listening to this song.  The rest of the album, though perhaps apart from "Teeth", is a wonderful collection of songs where hardcore beats alternative in the ring and then knocks its teeth out.  Their previous album, "The Fanciful" is an even better example of this.

As I was easing myself into the hardcore genre around last summer, I was unsure of what to think of Dead and Divine.  It was new to me.  More screaming and less singing.  "Lovely Bones" satisfies the sheepish fans (as will their older "The Bronze Goddess"), and the album as a whole will garner support from those who live and breath throat.  I'm anxious to get my hands on their next album, due out this summer.  Soon this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment