Monday 11 July 2011

Iron Maiden - When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden practically invented metal.  It was once again my younger brother who introduced me to them, after discovering his own love of music and buying "The Number Of The Beast."  Still working my way out of the hole created by alternative and punk, I was initially unsure of what I was hearing.  It had the things that I was growing to love in rock music: guitars that wouldn't quit, high male vocals (yes, it's perfectly fine to like that in a vocalist.  If only Bruce Dickinson was 30 years younger...).  Soon, my brother was working on completing the Iron Maiden discography and I was happily copying all of the songs to my library.  Now a tad of a know-it-all when it comes to their songs, both me and my brother were looking forward to the release of their newest album "The Final Frontier."  Of course, they knocked it out of the park.  But what was the most epic song on one of their most epic albums (facing serious competition from "The Trooper")?

When The Wild Wind Blows.

An eleven-minute masterpiece, "When The Wild Wind Blows" chronicles the story of lovers who mistake an earthquake for the fallout and take their lives.  Yes, that was a spoiler.  Beginning softly, rising to a powerful climax, and finishing on a fitting sombre note, the song literally makes the album.  Yes, if it hadn't been included on "The Final Frontier", I'm not sure how much I would have liked it.  If Iron Maiden can do anything flawlessly, it's tell a story with a beginning, middle and end in their songs, and still make it an epic.  I've listening to this song a lot, and never once have I gotten bored or tied of it.  After all, if a song is eleven minutes long, shouldn't it grab your attention and hold it hostage long enough so you develop Stockholm Syndrome?

I think the answer is obvious.

You can disregard all of my other suggestions if you want, but if there's any song I feature here that you should take a listen to, it's this one.  Now what are you still doing here?  Go to Wal-Mart and buy "The Final Frontier" ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment