Tuesday 3 July 2012

Hot Knife - Fiona Apple

I got my hands on Fiona Apple's new The Idler Wheel...!  About time!  Thank goodness for Amazon's speedy delivery, I say.  I was pleasantly surprised by her latest effort, which sends her back to her roots and away from the piano-heavy Extraordinary Machine, but it still sounds new to me.  It might just be her best album yet, but you'll have to listen to it yourself to know.  Perhaps the most interesting of all of the tracks is "Hot Knife," which is nearly a capella and focuses on the lyrics if I'm butter, then he's a hot knife.  It's a love song like you've never heard.

Fiona's vocals here are a bit quieter than usual, but on their own except for a few excerpts of the piano, it's just as powerful on "Hot Knife."  Soon lyrics begin weaving together with I'm a hot knife, if he's a pad of butter, if I get a chance I'm gonna show him that he's never gonna need another, never need another.  It gets magical, and then Fiona interrupts with the stern he excites me, must be like the Genesis rhythm.  She's outdone herself here, simply put.  Listen and amaze yourself this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment