Sunday 1 July 2012

Moneen - The East Has Stolen What The West May Want

It's Canada Day!  And you know what that means...the same thing as last year.  A featured song from one of my favourite Canadian post-hardcore bands.  Well, Moneen is a little more indie than last year's Alexisonfire, but that's okay.  I still love them, even if they haven't released any new material since 2009.  Come on, guys.  I'm the proud owner of The Red Tree, an album that I've been listening to ever since I got it, and there are no fillers there.  Every song, no matter how long the title, is fine in my books.  Though I was at first drawn to "The Song I Swore To Never Sing" and "Don't Ever Tell Locke What He Can't Do," my attention, and the writing of my WW3 novel, brought me to "The East Has Stolen What The West May Want."

Kenny Bridges begins with August 1961 stole the taste of freedom, the life I used to know.  This is indeed a song about the Berlin wall, and lover trapped on either side of the monstrous construction.  Sixteen long years to wait and wonder, did she make, safely make, is she still alive?  It's powerful stuff, I'll tell you that, and that's what makes it so good.  Songs with historical stories are always forever faves of mine, and that's why I like Eluveitie so much.  So take a trip back to 2006, plug in Moneen, and then bring yourself back to 1961.

No comments:

Post a Comment