Sunday 29 July 2012

The Unthinking Majority - Serj Tankian

Next time I'm at the mall, I'm rushing to HMV to get my hands on Serj's latest Harakiri.  Taking a cue from Dolan, actually is excited for this.  Serj on his own, without the rest of SOAD, is still a very good progressive metal act.  His solo debut, Elect The Dead, is his best release by far (that I own) compared to the more recent Imperfect Harmonies, but everyone gets one album to experiment.  While I wait for my own copy of new Serj, I'm listening away to his later work.  One of my favourites from Elect The Dead has long been "The Unthinking Majority," a politically charged track that is surprisingly catchy.

"The Unthinking Majority" has a lot of what Mr. Tankian does best.  He's able to work his voice into a number of different vocal styles, from the quick shouts, the subdued verses and the powerful hooks (my favourite).  When he gets into post-industrial society, the unthinking majority, I'm swooning at the power he puts into those words.  As for the instrumental side, the guitars compliment the lyrical side, the drums are to die for and it becomes catchy metal.  It's possible, and if you're a regular reading, you know that.  And we can't forget Serj's penchant to flawlessly integrate politics into his music (I believe that you're wrong, insinuating they hold the bomb, clearing the way for the oil brigade). 

Flahhhh-less, dah-ling.

No comments:

Post a Comment