Saturday 21 July 2012

White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes

The kings of folk are back on my blog, and dare I say it, even better than ever.  Well, today's selection actually comes from a release later than their last feature, so I guess that's a bit of a lie.  But here's the scoop.  "White Winter Hymnal" is off of the group's self titled effort from 2008, and is, at the very least, interesting.  It's rare for me to come across a relatively modern group that can folk it up like these lads.  "White Winter Hymnal" begins with some around-like singing as the instruments pick up, the emotion rises, and then we've got a song, people.  Is this better than "Helplessness Blues?"  No, that'll always be my favourite folk song of (probably) all time, but that's okay.  "White Winter Hymnal" proves that Fleet Foxes isn't a one-note band.  They've got good songs across the board, and across time.  And if you can withstand time, you're gonna go places.

No comments:

Post a Comment