Sunday 15 July 2012

Iron Maiden & Alice Cooper @ Sarnia Bayfest - 7/14/12

Last night I attended the second night of the Sarnia Bayfest with my brother, to see Iron Maiden in concert with Alice Cooper as an opener.  First off: HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GOOD.  Now to get into a little more detail.

Alice Cooper came on close to 7, while all of us in the VIP section were trying to hide behind each other from the sun.  Yes, it was freaking hot there, but I made it clear to my brother that we weren't giving up our spot in the mosh pit.  I wanted to be close when Iron Maiden came on.  Now, I wasn't sure what to expect of Alice Cooper, but he wasn't half bad.  In fact, he was pretty amazing.  And his backing band had some mad skills; the guitarists blew my mind, and they were ready to put on a show.  And even in his older age, Mr. Cooper still has it.  Highlight of his set?  A few, really.  There was the guillotine skit, the Frankenstein wandering around stage, but of course, the finale of "School's Out For Summer" drove everyone wild.



And then there was Maiden.

I was worried at first, to be honest.  I didn't know if Iron Maiden would sound the same live as they do in the studio, but I was quickly proven wrong.  These guys are the real deal.  And Bruce...he's adorable!  If the crowd wasn't so tightly packed near the stage, I would have ran right up to him.  There was one woman crowd surfing, though her ass was probably grabbed more times than she would have liked.  Their setlist was impressive; mostly older songs, a few I didn't know, but I was hollering nearly the whole time.  The definite highlight was "Run To The Hills," a flawless performance from everyone in the band.  "Fear of the Dark" was the one I was most excited for, as well as "Number of The Beast" and of course, "The Trooper."  Something about Bruce in that red jacket...he's got me.  The one thing I wish they would have done differently is play more from Piece of Mind and at least one new song, but I can't really complain.  Iron Maiden blew me out of the water last night.




No comments:

Post a Comment