Sunday 3 February 2013

Amanda Palmer - Ukulele Anthem

I was aware of Dresden Dolls way back when in the throes of the early 2000s, when I was still writing down song titles from the radio hoping I would one day get the chance to have them all.  That nostalgia was reignited by a browse through Noisetrade when I found a sampler from the Dolls' Amanda Palmer.  It's an eclectic mix with a little bit of everything, but it's plain to see what resounds.

"Ukulele Anthem" outlines the pros of small Hawaiian instrument.  Cons?  There are none.  With the aid of four strings, Ms. Palmer lets us know it takes about an hour to teach someone to play the ukulele, about the same to teach someone to build a standard pipe bomb.  It's all about creative expression here, and the message is clear.  Anyone can do it, ukulele or not.  Don't be scared by the five-and-a-half minute length, it'll fly by.    Hell, I want a ukulele now.  I hope there's one in the depths of Zellers before the doors close in eight days...

No comments:

Post a Comment