Monday 25 February 2013

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Very rarely do I put a song's genre down as unclassifiable.  Aside from this song, the only one I can think of comes from something by jj and Neyo that I got ages ago.  What does unclassifiable even mean, in that sense?  Is it not like anything else, or not clear as to where it belongs?

Oneohtrix Point Never is form Brooklyn, so there's already that.  Like his fellow Brooklynites, daniel Lopatin knows a bit about good jams and the like, but he's no indie rock god or rap star.  His music, "Replica" for example, is some kind of cross between digital music and something classical.  You have to listen before you give me guff about it being unclassifiable.  The piano is the star, but the digital elements bring "Replica" to a world you've never seen before.  It's a melancholy land where the sky is always grey and the ground is always damp, but there's something else there too.  Something...hopeful.

For those who like lyrics in their music, don't be scared by "Replica."  I hope you enjoy its unique qualities as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment