Wednesday 27 February 2013

Max Raabe & Das Palast Orchester - We Will Rock You + Oops! I Did It Again

Even though my dad's side of the family isn't the familiar kind of German (his family left with the other Mennonites in the late 1700's for Russia), that's still technically what we are.  German.  Well, I won't get into my mom's side, that's a mess of countries.  Point is, I share some camaraderie with modern big band artist Max Raabe, who along with his orchestra performs a lot of work in his native language, but still offers cover songs in English.  Thanks to Tumblr I found his version of "We Will Rock You," and it only snowballed from there.

"We Will Rock You" is a little jazzy, a touch mysterious, and very intriguing.  Please tell me if you've heard something like this before.  Don't worry, this isn't an obviously German way of covering.  Max and the gang make this accessible to everyone, though the tuba reminds me a bit of the polka.  He shines with his voice and the way he pronounces each word.  Though Queen's original is hard to beat, this cover is refreshing.  The point is that this is fun, simply.

Max and the orchestra's "Oops! I Did It Again" is another favourite of mine, because it's nothing you'd expect.  It's on the same end of the spectrum as Children of Bodom's cover of the same B. Spears song (look it up!).  In the vein of his other work, Max puts an old flavor into modern work, without making the song dated in any way.  Also, I enjoy how sings the climactic oops I did it again to your heart, got lost in this game, oh baby near the end.

Be adventurous today.  Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment