Tuesday 19 February 2013

Gob - Banshee Song

I won't expect you to remember Gob, let alone know who they are at all.  They're merely a memory of yesteryear to me, back when I wore ripped painter's jeans to school and grew my hair out in front of my face.  Ah, the punk years.  While Gob didn't get much thought from me back then, they've lasted until now with their "Banshee Song."  Why?  Maybe it has to do with my taste in music maturing, but whatever it is, I like it.

"Banshee Song" isn't a jump-out-of-your-seat punk song.  This ditty does its work the low-and-slow way.  The boys of Gob rock out on borderline-lush guitars, singing of lost love and waiting for it to return.  For a pop-punk band, the sound of 2007 is surprisingly mature and well-developed.  These guys have learned from Foot in Mouth Disease.  "Banshee Song" is sweet, romantic, lush, powerful...this is the alternative music I like to listen to well into my twenties.  Maybe you'll be able to say the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment