Monday 4 February 2013

System of a Down - Atwa

We can get into wild environmental theories today, or we can just appreciate good music for what it is.  I'm not going to start on Charles Manson, but he gave us the abbreviation of ATWA, which stands for Air, Trees, Water, Animals.  My favourite Armenians took this into a different direction, giving us a haunting number off of their superb Toxicity.  "Atwa" has quiet verses and an aggressive chorus that's pure Serj.  Daron is good here too, don't get me wrong (comparing the two is apples and oranges), but Serj owns.  It's a sad song, if you pay attention to the lyrics (you don't care about how I feel, I don't feel it anymore), and if you want, you can say it's about Charles Manson.  Maybe that's what makes it so haunting.  Whatever it is, "Atwa" is a well-paced, well-constructed part of System of a Down's discography.  No wonder it made that Top 10 of theirs I published...

No comments:

Post a Comment