Sunday 9 February 2014

Avicii - Hey Brother

I'm guilty of going mainstream sometimes, I'll admit.  I was waiting for the Golden Globes to start last month and watching some music videos play on the website I'd found, and wouldn't you know, one was "Hey Brother" by Avicii.  I tried not to like it, really, but I'm weak in the knees for a good country dance song.  The good ones are few and far between, but they're out there (the P Smoov remix of Brent Amaker & the Rodeo's "Johnny's Theme," to name one).  I'm really not a big fan of Avicii outside of this track, but he at least got my attention.

"Hey Brother" has a heavy country-bluegrass feel to it, thanks to strong vocal work from bluegrass singer Dan Tyminski.  There's also the acoustic guitar, but it's brought to the dance genre through some strong percussion and clever DJing by Mr. Avicii.  I personally like the bluegrass elements a lot more than the dance ones in this, however.  It's more Dan's track than Avicii's to me.  Overall, it's a lovely modern twist to a genre that I'm never too sure how I feel about (country), and good kick of another genre to make something mainstream a little more likable to me (dance).  "Hey Brother" is still better than all that generic dance crap out there, and for that, I commend Avicii.

No comments:

Post a Comment